Dual Immersion Program
STARTING IN THE 2016-2017 SCHOOL YEAR, DUAL IMMERSION WILL BEGIN IN 1st GRADE. DUAL IMMERSION WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED IN KINDERGARTEN AT TIMPANOGOS.
The purpose of the program is to teach children to be bilingual in English and Spanish. Some important facts about this program:
- Students learn through being immersed in each language. Through this program students encourage and teach each other, and eventually all become bilingual.
- Timpanogos School is a 2-way model in which half of the class is made up of native speakers of English and the other half is made up of native speakers of Spanish.
- Students are taught the curriculum 50% of the time in English and 50% of the time in Spanish by native speaker of each language whenever possible.
- The homework should be a review of what was taught in class, therefore something that your child is familiar with. When everything is translated, children begin to rely on the translation rather than learning through context. Please do not expect homework to be translated beyond directions.
- A few of the benefits of dual immersion are:
- Students become proficient in two languages.
- Spanish-speaking students actually learn English more quickly than those in English-only classes.
- Students learn and appreciate different cultures.
If you have any questions or would like to know more, feel free to contact us in the main office or at 801-374-4955.
If you wish your student to participate in the Dual Immersion Program at Timpanogos, please fill out the application and parent commitment form and return to the school office.
District Dual Immersion Application: This form is currently unavailable online.